short-term debt

Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.

Short-term debt

Debt obligations, recorded as current liabilities, requiring payment within the year.
Copyright © 2012, Campbell R. Harvey. All Rights Reserved.

Short-Term Debt

Any bond or other debt that must be repaid or refinanced within one year. Short-term debts are recorded on a balance sheet as current liabilities.
Farlex Financial Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All Rights Reserved

short-term debt

That portion of debt that is payable within one year.Consumers typically include only debts maturing in one year in their schedule of short-term debts.Businesses usually segregate debt into the current year's portion of all debt,with the balance,if any,categorized as long-term debt. When completing a form financial statement for a lender, it is important to find out that lender's definition of short-term debt. Placing debts in the wrong category could result in a failure to meet certain critical ratios,and denial of the loan.

The Complete Real Estate Encyclopedia by Denise L. Evans, JD & O. William Evans, JD. Copyright © 2007 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
Another 15% of the short-term debt has been converted into fixed five-year PIBs and about 10% into three-year fixed PIBs.
This article considers a third option, which is to refinance in order to consolidate short-term debts.
The country's short-term debt vis-a-vis all external liabilities also inched down 0.3 percentage point to 29.2 percent.
However, while the study found that short-term debt and depression were associated, it didn't prove one causes the other.
"Short-term debt accounted for 21.8 per cent of India's total external debt, while the remaining (78.2 per cent) was long-term debt.
Moody's Investors Service today upgraded the short-term debt rating of Housing Finance Agency p.l.c.'s (HFA) euro 6 billion commercial paper programme to P-3 from NP.
Restrictive Covenants and Short-Term Debt Contributions to Reducing Agency Conflict
Financial firms that lend to households and corporations (both banks and "shadow banks" that perform similar economic functions) have always featured short-term debt in their funding structures.
LDK, which makes polysilicon, solar wafers, cells and modules, also reported weaker-than-forecast first-quarter sales and said it was working to cut costs and refinance some of its short-term debt into longer-term facilities.
SMEs at the start of their life-cycle, struggling to survive with low or no retained earnings, may become excessively dependent on short-term debt, where repayment of the debt and interests are easily monitored by creditors (Myers, 1977).
Short Term Debt Ratio (STDR): It is computed as short-term debt to total assets.

Full browser ?