public offering

Also found in: Dictionary, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to public offering: Secondary Public Offering

Public offering

Used in the context of general equities. Offering to the investment public, after compliance with registration requirements of the SEC, usually by an investment banker or a syndicate made up of several investment bankers, at a price agreed upon between the issuer and the investment bankers. Antithesis of private placement. See: Primary distribution and secondary distribution.

Public Offering

An issue of stock by a publicly-traded company. A company makes a public offering through underwriters, who have the responsibility to place the offering with individual and institutional investors. Companies make public offerings in order to raise financing for expanded operations; the offerings themselves give investors a portion of ownership in the company issuing them. The first public offering of a company is called an initial public offering, and marks the point when a company ceases to be privately held and becomes publicly traded.

public offering

The sale of an issue of securities to the public, an activity that usually occurs with the assistance of an investment banker that purchases the securities from the issuer and then resells them to the public. Also called distribution, offering.

public offering

(1) Offering of new securities to the investing public after registration with the Securities and Exchange Commission. (2) A sealed-bid auction where oil sands rights are sold to the highest bidder. (3) A requirement by some governments, educational institutions, and others that property declared as surplus must be offered to the public for purchase before being sold in a private sale.Also called a primary distribution.

References in periodicals archive ?
5 million shares of common stock at the same public offering price per share if the underwriters exercise their over-allotment option to purchase additional shares of common stock from the company by July 29, 2006.
The cross-border income fund permits owners to take up to 90 percent of the aggregate holdings on the initial public offering.
Issuing stock, debt or other securities to investors in a public offering involves registering the securities and the company with the SEC, thus subjecting the company to extensive disclosure and corporate governance requirements imposed by law (including the recent Sarbanes-Oxley legislation and related rules).
An S corporation may make distributions of AAA before or after the public offering.
Jones, president of the Company, the public offering will raise approximately $93.
NASDAQ:OPXT) announced today the completion of its initial public offering of 16,909,375 shares of common stock at a price to the public of $15.
On July 10, a further delay of the public offering was announced.
In connection with the proposed public offering, the Company expects to submit to shareholders resolutions approving a reverse stock split in an effort to increase the trading price of the Company's Common Stock in order that the Common Stock may be listed on Nasdaq's SmallCap Market upon the public offering.
The latest report presents several important tax and accounting issues relating to REITS, along with guest perspectives on the process of launching a REIT and what ingredients Wall Street considers key to a successful initial public offering.
In July, 41 percent of Valero Energy's interest in the holding company was sold in an initial public offering, and in December, Valero Energy's remaining 59 percent interest in the holding company was sold in a follow-on offering.
In general, debates about the fairness of demutualization have revolved around particular conversion methods, with little or no attention given to the pricing of initial public offerings.
Welcome Home expects that the initial public offering will be completed in June, 1994.