References in classic literature ?
"But tell me, how does Tario live, and the other etherealists who maintain that food is unnecessary?"
"He says that inasmuch as we maintain that we alone are real we should, to be consistent, admit that we alone are proper food for Komal.
Tario maintains that there is no such thing as substance, all being created from the substanceless matter of the brain.
"We might have killed them at any distance, but one rule of war we have maintained from the first--the rule of realism.
For a long time to come, it will not be possible to maintain a large army; and as the means of doing this increase, the population and natural strength of the community will proportionably increase.
That company, therefore, still maintains an unrivalled sway over the whole country washed by the Columbia and its tributaries.
Just so, I maintain (he continues), does a given undivided portion of experience, taken in one context of associates, play the part of a knower, of a state of mind, of
Philosophers, on the other hand, have maintained often that matter is a mere fiction imagined by mind, and sometimes that mind is a mere property of a certain kind of matter.
Idealism, accordingly, says that nothing can be known except thoughts, and all the reality that we know is mental; while realism maintains that we know objects directly, in sensation certainly, and perhaps also in memory and thought.
Effingham had, from the commencement of the disputes between the colonists and the crown, warmly maintained what he believed to be the just prerogatives of his prince; while, on the other hand, the clear head and independent mind of Temple had induced him to espouse the cause of the people.
He maintained, with peculiar satisfaction, it seemed, that maiden modesty is a mere relic of barbarism, and that nothing could be more natural than for a man still youngish to handle a young girl naked.
Then they believed in some mysterious influence exercised by her over human destinies-- that every Selenite was attached to some inhabitant of the earth by a tie of sympathy; they maintained that the entire vital system is subject to her control, etc.
Financial browser ?
- Mag Track
- Maggie Mae
- Maghreb Permanent Consultative Committee
- Maghreb States
- Magic of diversification
- magnet store
- Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
- Magnusson-Moss Act
- maid's quarters
- Mail Delay
- Mail float
- mail order
- mailbox rule
- Mailer's Technical Advisory Committee
- Mailing Date
- Main Home
- maintenance and replacement call
- Maintenance Bond
- maintenance call
- maintenance fee
- Maintenance margin
- maintenance margin requirement
- major bracket
- Major Currency
- Major Market Index
- major turn
- Majority shareholder
- Majority Stake
- majority stockholder
- majority voting
- majority-owned subsidiary
- Make a market
- Make It Rain
- Make Whole Call Provision
- Make whole provision
- make-or-buy decision
Full browser ?
- Mainstreaming Gender Equity Programme
- Mainstreet Credit Verification Engine
- Mainstreet Moms Operation Blue
- Mainstreet Moms Oppose Bush
- Mainstreet Music Academy
- Mainstreet New Philadelphia
- maintain (oneself or someone) in (something)
- maintain (something) at (something)
- maintain a course
- maintain a low profile
- maintain a middle position
- Maintain a Position VFR and Advise
- Maintain and Operate the Organization, Systems, and Equipment
- maintain as conformable to duty
- maintain as conformable to justice
- maintain at
- Maintain At Least ...
- Maintain Attack Relative Timing
- Maintain Benefits
- maintain by affirmation
- maintain by arguments
- maintain continuity
- Maintain Flight Level
- maintain her in
- maintain herself in
- maintain him in
- maintain himself in
- maintain in
- Maintain Item of Supply
- maintain me in
- maintain myself in
- maintain one in
- maintain oneself in
- maintain ourselves in
- Maintain Personal Computer-Based Automated Test System
- Maintain Production Schedules