Blockade

(redirected from blockader)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.

Blockade

The act of preventing food, medicine, materials and/or other supplies from entering or leaving a country. A blockade occurs when one country sends its military and sets up a perimeter, disallowing the blockaded supplies from being exported or imported. A blockade is an act of war and is obviously disruptive to international trade.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
(71) Therefore the People's Liberation Army Air Force and Navy would not be constrained by fuel shortages, enabling them to project power against a blockader and to maintain territorial gains and presence within the first island chain in a manner that likely would force the United States ultimately either to escalate by engaging in direct military conflict closer to China or to forgo military action in Chinas near neighborhood, effectively making China the new military hegemon in much of East and Southeast Asia.
Dozens of young blockaders followed the Elders' lead, staging blockades seven times that month.
A risk-tolerant defender may attempt to maneuver the blockader into a position where the latter must attack a blockade runner (and/or its military escort) and thereby risk triggering an "ill-controlled" escalation.
As early as January 2003 logging operators began taking a detour to the east rather than contend with the blockaders at Slant Lake.
But as blockaders continue to face trial in relation to their anti-fracking efforts, Levi said the hope is to turn the tables and take the government itself to court "using our treaty rights," he said, and we'll beat them."
Yet only about 10 percent of China's energy imports are presently carried on domestic hulls, a fact that would force a blockader to identify and intercept the other 90 percent.
For those who believed that segregation could be achieved in the navy, Union blockaders and western gunboats proved poor places to draw color lines.
Ironically, neither the blockaders nor Qatar and their allies have any interest in ending the blockade.
The Russian Ambassador to Kyrgyzstan Andrei Krutko also congratulated veterans and blockaders. He noted that the country's leadership and the president in particular, attaches great importance to working with veterans.
The hate activity by the blockaders also included having social media activists spread rumours and instigate violence against Qataris.
"We know blockading countries and their agents are attempting to manipulate and undermine our currency, securities and derivatives, as part of a coordinated strategy to damage Qatar's economy," Sheikh Abdulla said in a press release last December, adding that "Until the illegal blockade is lifted, the Qatar Central Bank will work to ensure our financial sector and economy remains robust and stable despite the illegal actions of the blockaders."
He said,"Until the illegal blockade is lifted, the QCB will work to ensure our financial sector and economy remain robust and stable despite the illegal actions of the blockaders."