References in periodicals archive ?
48) The second implication is that individual wards could have varying community standards, customs, and social expectations, even when they lived under the same sets of state nomoi and the authority of the same officials.
Thus construed, freedom becomes tantamount to auto-nomy (and not anomy), because it is the agent (or, more specifically, his proairesis) that determines the nomoi by which his actions are to be guided (Cf.
Essas regras nao escritas, que os gregos ja denominavam agrafa nomoi, as leis nao divulgadas que regem a polis, parecem estar vinculadas diretamente as possibilidades de aplicacao de qualquer juizo etico.
Baragwanath makes a really interesting point in asserting that "Herodotus seems more interested in exploring the extent to which nomoi [customs] do not determine behaviour; he considers, for example, how, even where custom is strong, humans may have a determining role, choosing to transgress them.
Rather, these public decisions are the nomoi, the widely shared and publicly available laws, norms, and customs of the society.
Strauss is as far from simply rejecting such analyses as to argue that, in the best possible city, the nomoi can only be 'completed' by religious narratives concerning their origins, laid down by prophetic rhetoricians:
For the ancients, the nomoi, or laws, encompassed not just formal legislation but also the "ways" or "conventions" of the city--what we might call "the culture.
Man's law, the nomoi of the Polis, must conform to a higher
The notion that there are two nomoi competing for control of the
Ultimately, only he can cause the hero, the "resourceful" statesperson Odysseus, to modify the nomoi of the demos.
Echoing Cover, Scalia charged the Court with mistaking a "Kulturkampf," which Scalia probably meant as a culture clash between fundamentalist religious and pro-gay nomoi, for a vicious "fit of spite.
The NOMOI of Gemistus Plethon in the Light of Plato's Laws.
Financial browser ?
- Nominal cash flow
- nominal consideration
- Nominal dollars
- nominal exchange rate
- nominal exercise price
- Nominal GDP
- nominal group technique
- Nominal income
- nominal interest rate
- nominal ledger
- nominal partner
- nominal price
- Nominal quotation
- nominal quote
- nominal rate of protection
- nominal return
- Nominal value
- nominal values
- Nominal yield
- Nominee Dividend
- nominee holding
- Nominee Interest
- Nominee Name
- Non Performing Loan
- Non Resident Alien
- Non Vessel Operating Common Carrier
- Non Vessel Operating Common Carriers
- nonaccelerating inflation rate of unemployment
- Non-Accelerating Inflation Rate of Unemployment
- Nonaccredited investor
- Non-Accredited Investor
- Nonaccrual Loan
- Nonactionable Subsidy
- Nonaligned Movement
- nonassessable capital stock
- nonassumption clause
- Nonbank Bank
- Nonbank banks
- Nonboard Company
- Nonborrowed Reserves
- Nonbusiness Bad Debts
- Nonbusiness Expense Deduction
- Nonbusiness Income
- Non-Callable Bond
Full browser ?
- Nomor Induk Guru Nasional
- Nomor Induk Registrasi Mahasiswa
- Nomor Induk Siswa Nasional
- Nomor Pendaftaran Wajib Pajak
- Nomor Pengenal Importir Khusus
- Nomor Pokok Pengusaha Kena Pajak
- Nomor Pokok Sekolah Nasional
- Nomor Pokok Wajib Pajak
- Nomor Pokok Wajib Pajak Daerah
- Nomor Pokok Wajib Retribusi Daerah
- Nomor Pokok Wajib Zakat
- Nomos Publishers