combination(redirected from Multicombination)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Applies to derivative products. Arrangement of options involving two long or two short positions with different expiration dates or strike (exercise) prices. See: Straddle.
Copyright © 2012, Campbell R. Harvey. All Rights Reserved.
A union of two or more entities, either by merging one or more of the entities into another of the entities or by consolidating the entities into a new entity.
Case Study Lucas Industries PLC and Variety Corporation, two manufacturers of auto and truck brakes, agreed in June 1996 to a combination to be called Lucas-Variety PLC. Managements of both firms indicated the combination was necessary so as to remain competitive in a market that demanded a global presence. The combination also was expected to produce cost savings and to result in tax savings by allowing the new firm to benefit from Lucas's tax-loss carryforwards. Terms of the agreement called for the two firms to merge into a new company through an exchange of shares. Variety's owners would receive approximately 38% of the shares of the new firm while Lucas's owners would receive the other 62% of the shares. The market prices of both firms' shares rose following announcement of the agreement, an indication that investors agreed with managements' assessment of the financial benefits of the merger.
Wall Street Words: An A to Z Guide to Investment Terms for Today's Investor by David L. Scott. Copyright © 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. All rights reserved.