interstate(redirected from Interstates)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
A concept with many different interpretations depending on which federal law is being considered. Usually relevant in determining if an activity has a sufficient connection to interstate commerce,and thus the Commerce Clause of the Constitution,to warrant federal intrusion or oversight of the activity. Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution is known as the Commerce Clause and empowers the United States Congress “To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes.”Representative areas of federal power may include
• Matters in interstate commerce
• Matters affecting interstate commerce
• Agencies and instrumentalities of interstate commerce
• Local laws that discriminate against interstate commerce
• Crimes that interfere with or obstruct interstate commerce