Hawkish


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

Hawkish

An aggressive tone. For example, if the Federal Reserve uses hawkish language to describe the threat of inflation, one could reasonably expect stronger actions from the Fed. There is a similar application to CEO describing an important issue that a firm faces. Opposite of Dovish.

Hawkish

Describing a statement from the Federal Reserve indicating that it may raise interest rates. The statement is called hawkish because it indicates that the Fed believes that the inflation rate is high enough to warrant concern. See also: Dovish.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Descriptive statistics show that all messages (100%) in the domestic arena were hawkish, and 96% of the messages in the foreign arena were hawkish (the other 4% are equivocal).
The New Hampshire Senate race might also see the defeat of one of the chamber's more hawkish members.
However, Ms Yellen and the Fed's outlook may be too narrow and parochial, which could explain the hawkish forecasts.
Despite the weak growth backdrop, the RBI has to stick to its hawkish bias to get inflation under control and through this eventually pave the way for a recovery in economic activity," he said.
The tone of the accompanying statement maintained a slightly hawkish bias as the CBR still appears concerned that the recent pick-up in headline CPI above the target range (despite its transitory nature) may affect broader inflation expectations.
Whether Obama has the will to manoeuvre Israeli policy towards its neighbour we will discover over the next few years but Netanyahu is in a weaker position than he was a week ago and a less hawkish, more subdued Netanyahu, has to be a good thing.
The thing to remember is this: Barak and Netanyahu have nothing to gain from sounding dovish notes, and plenty to gain from sounding hawkish ones.
Britain and France, the most hawkish EU countries, failed to convince other member states to impose oil embargos on Iran.
But he appeared give tacit support to more hawkish members of the Nato-led alliance, insisting that the UN resolutions allowed for people to be given "the means to defend the civilian population" under "certain circumstances".
dollar marched to the upper 83 yen range Friday morning in Tokyo as more hawkish remarks from Federal Reserve officials added to market expectations about an early exit from its ultra-easy monetary policy.
In Brussels, a hawkish statement from the president of the European Central Bank, hinting at a possible interest rate hike next month, saw the euro surge against the pound and dollar.
The Israeli press opened fire in recent days on hawkish Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the back of his government's recent plans to build new settlements in East Jerusalem in defiance of the US and the international community.