Beta Error

(redirected from type II error)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to type II error: Hypothesis testing, Null hypothesis, Statistical power

Beta Error

When testing a hypothesis, the risk of a false negative in the results. It is also called a type II error or beta risk. See also: Alpha risk.
References in periodicals archive ?
This bias reduced the method's ability to detect aberrations going forward, which increased type II errors.
Moreover, Figures 1-4 compare the best single and hybrid learning models in terms of prediction accuracy, Type I and Type II errors, and the ROC curve, respectively.
In summary, 'no statistically significant difference' always refers to 'not [greater than or equal to] a particular magnitude of difference' and is always associated with the possibility of a type II error.
In contrast, ecological rationality and decisionmaking, when incorrect, produce a Type II error.
For example, a Type II error rate of 15 percent is associated with a Type I error rate of 24 percent in 1996, and Type I error rates associated with a Type II error rate of 15 percent exceed 24 percent from 1997 to 2004.
II] are the conditional probabilities of type I and type II errors, respectively, and [C.
Although previous statistical methods give data on quantity of type I error to researchers, the occurrence of type II error mostly remains unknown (Stefano, 2001).
On the other hand, neural network credit scoring model has lower Type II errors associated with high misclassification costs and therefore has better overall credit scoring capabilities.
When the agency commits a Type II error, people will be denied a treatment for their illness, but "the status quo will remain" (p.
Classification Error Rates and Accuracy Levels of 354 mixed industry firms and 40 retail industry firms Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Mixed Industries Type I error 15% (15%) 30% (30%) 36% (37%) Type II error 10% (11%) 12% (14%) 16% (18%) Overall error 12% (13%) 21% (22%) 26% (27%) Overall accuracy of classification 88% (87%) 79% (78%) 74% (73%) Retail Industry Type I error 30% (30%) 65% (65%) 50% (50%) Type II error 10% (10%) 5% (5%) 10% (10%) Overall error 20% (20%) 35% (35%) 30% (30%) Overall accuracy of classification 80% (80%) 65% (65%) 70% (70%) Note: 1) B--bankrupt firms; NB--nonbankrupt firms 2) Type I error = misclassification of bankrupt firms 3) Type II error = misclassification of nonbankrupt firms 4) Cutoff value = 0.
Given the possibility of a type II error and the absence of any downside to involvement with Alcoholics Anonymous, an argument can be made for continuing to refer patients to this group.
in top three journals) and the Type II error (a "non-top" article is accepted as a top article) for each journal and combinations of the journals.