tracker fund

Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

Index Fund

A mutual fund that is not actively-managed and simply tracks a benchmark index. That is, the investment company managing the mutual fund places the liquidity in securities represented in a certain index. Thus, when that index increases in price, so does the mutual fund, and vice versa. An exchange-traded fund is a prime example of an index fund. Many popular tracker funds track the S&P 500 and other S&P indices. An index fund is less commonly called an index fund. See also: Closet index fund, SPDR.

tracker fund

a PORTFOLIO of company SHARES which is designed to exactly mirror.

tracker fund

a PORTFOLIO of company SHARES that is designed to exactly mirror in composition and relative ‘weighting’ the shares making up a selected share index such as the ‘Financial Times Stock Exchange (FTSE) - 100 Share Index’. Tracker funds are operated by UNIT TRUSTS, INVESTMENT

TRUSTS and other INSTITUTIONAL INVESTORS. Unlike many funds that are actively managed by fund managers who buy and sell shares at their discretion n a wide range of companies, tracker funds are passively managed and, as their name implies, simply ‘track’, in a robotic way, the shares comprising the target index. See INDIVIDUAL SAVINGS ACCOUNT (ISA).

References in periodicals archive ?
Index or tracker funds shows how much of each share or instrument in the index to buy and when these instruments or share may be sold, reducing the human interference and judgment to a large degree.
But on every other occasion you would have done better taking the risk of the tracker fund with the difference being as high as pounds 2,645 on version nine and an additional profit of over pounds 2,000 on half the occasions.
HSBC Holdings (LSE: HSBA) is planning for EM, Bond and Index Tracker funds.
The fund will be traded as a feeder fund, with 90% of its money to be invested in Polaris Taiwan Top 50 Tracker Fund and the remaining 10% to be invested in futures or held in cash.
Q TRACKER funds seemed a good idea when shares were down, but now they are rising are they still a good deal?
Money invested with netPEP goes into a unit trust designed to mirror or "track" a major stock market index, the CF netPEP Tracker Fund.
TORONTO -- Brompton Advantaged Tracker Fund (TSX:ATF.
In 2003 Polaris issued Taiwan's first ETF named Taiwan Top50 Tracker Fund.
Muscat Fund, launched in 1995 and regulated by the Capital Market Authority, is the first and only MSM index tracker fund in Oman.
Q IN share-buying, what is the difference between a Tracker Fund and a Managed Fund?
In answer to a recent enquiry, you quoted figures for a tracker fund which do not match my own records.
Con" is a strong word but Dampier is making a valid point as it is unrealistic to expect your tracker fund to match the market in performance terms.