Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to allowances: Tax Allowances
- the additional time which is added to the ‘basic time’ allowed for the completion of a particular work task in order to calculate a ‘standard time’ for that task. These include:
- Relaxation allowances, which are made to take account of the mental and physical needs of workers, who require rest periods;
- contingency allowances which are made to cover the unforeseen circumstances such as the extra work caused by defective machines or substandard materials;
- interference allowances which are made to take account of nonproductive or IDLE TIME caused by delays in materials, machine breakdowns and machine SET-UP TIMES. See WORK MEASUREMENT.
- the additional raw materials or components which are added to the basic materials allowed for the completion of a particular product or subassembly in a PRODUCT SPECIFICATION, to allow for cutting losses and anticipated wastage of materials.
- tax allowances. See INCOME TAX ALLOWANCE, CAPITAL ALLOWANCE, CORPORATION TAX.