Serif

(redirected from Serif font)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.

Serif

In typography, a small mark attached to a letter. Serifs do not alter the meanings of letters. They are decorative and are not present in some fonts.
References in periodicals archive ?
In sum, the goal of the present experiment was to examine whether or not the use of a serif font produces an advantage over a sans serif font in an ecological setting: normal reading.
Should DOAH's standard change to a proportional font such as Times New Roman or any of the recommended serif fonts, single spacing after sentences would be the professional choice.
In these cases, the headings of these supporting information sections are composed with Sans Serif fonts (just like in their main headlines) in a small size of between 10 and 16 points, aligned to the left in 75% of cases and centred on the remaining 25%.
Both Arditi and Cho (2005) and Moriarty and Scheiner (1984) found no differences in reading speed with sans serif and serif fonts.
Serif fonts significantly improved recall of the information.
First, use sans serif fonts like Arial, Verdana, and Lucinda Grande for signs, PowerPoint headings, titles, outlines, and so on.
My experience suggests that choosing carefully the serif font to be used for a proposal is far more important than fiddling with the headings font.
Consider typing the body of your text using a cleaner sans serif font, such as Helvetica, Futura or Arial.
So remember not to use a fancy serif font but rather to use a sans serif font instead.
Thought District's creative team refreshed Madonna's business line logos using a clean, modern sans serif font and a sharper "M" icon.
Decide if a sans serif font better showcases your content.
Thousands vented their fury on Facebook and Twitter after the chain dumped its dark blue-and-white square with its name in a serif font for a plain black-and-white replacement some days ago.