parties(redirected from Joinder of Additional Parties)
Also found in: Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
In litigation, the various people or companies with grievances or defenses that wish to be heard by the court. Types of parties include
• Plaintiff. Files the lawsuit.
• Defendant. The person the suit is against.
• Counterplaintiff. A defendant who has claims against the plaintiff.
• Counterdefendant. The plaintiff who is also sued by the defendant.
• Cross-claimants. Defendants who sue each other.
• Third-party defendants. When a defendant decides someone else should be added to the lawsuit because the defendant has claims against that person and it is all related to the same dispute. (Typically occurs when the defendant seeks indemnity from another.)