Some of these ideas, including the contextualisation of the Sulong story, first appeared in brief form in James Ockey, 'Botrian jak prawatsat: Haji Sulong kap jangwat muslim phak tai' [Lessons from history: Haji Sulong and the southern Muslim provinces], Sinlapawatthanatham, 25, 6 (2004): 100-9.
41) Chaloemkiat Khunthongphet, 'Kantotan naiyobai rattaban nai si jangwat phak tai khong prathet Thai doi kan ham khong Hayi Sulong Abdunkadae' [Resistance to government policy in the four southern provinces of Thailand under the leadership of Haji Sulong Abdulqadir] (M.
8) Kanvijai pramernponkratop khong prarajakamnot kanborihan rajakan nai sattanakan choekcheon po so 2548 tor kanjatkan lae kaekhai panha khwamrunraeng nai jangwat chaidaen paktai po so 2552 [Evaluation Study of the Impact of the 2005 Emergency Decree on Management and Resolution of Violent Conflict in the Southern Border Provinces in 2009], commissioned research submitted to Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre (SBPAC), Center for Conflict Studies and Cultural Diversity (CSCD), Prince of Songkhla University, Pattani, 27 July 2009, p.
Krongkan wikro khwamplianplaeng lae sattanakan chapohna tangdan sangkom sethakit kanmuang nai jangwat chaidaentai [Analysis of current socioeconomic and political situation in the Southern border provinces], research report submitted to the National Research Council of Thailand (NRCT), 2010, pp.
National Security Council, "Naiyobai kwamankhong haengchat kieo kap jangwat chaidaen" ["National Security Policy for the Southern Border Provinces"], Cabinet Resolution, 24 January 1978, Appendix A in Prakit Prachonpatchanuk, Karn kaekai kaekhai phanha jangwat chaidaen phak tai hai bangkirt phol yang thaworn [Durable Solutions to the Stability Problem of the Southern Border Provinces] (Bangkok: Institute of Army Academics 1989), p.
27) The Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre, Botbat ongkarn khongrath naikarn kaekhai phanha jangwat chaidaen phak tai [The Role of State Organizations in Solving the Problems of the Southern Border Provinces] (Yala: SBPAC, 1984), p.
nai 3 jangwat chaidaen phak tai, karani Wat Phromprasit, Tambon Bannok,
Amphoe Panare, Jangwat Pattani [Declaration of the sangha council of
4) For a detailed discussion of the historical dimensions of the conflict, see Srisompob Jitpiromsri and Sukri Langputeh, Kanpokkhrong thongthin baep phiset nai jangwat chaidaen phaktai, raingan khrongkan wijai kanpokkhrong thongthin nai jangwat thi mi khwam laklai chatiphan [Special Arrangements for Local Government in the Southern Border Provinces: Research Report on Local Government in Ethnically Diverse Provinces], Mahidol University Research Center for Peacebuilding, 30 June 2008, pp.
33) For data showing the exponential growth of private Islamic schools in recent years, see Khwamkhatyaeng rawang pattana kap saphap sangkhom nai 3 jangwat chaidaen phaktai, edited by Ammar Siamwalla [The Conflict Between Development and Social Conditions in the Three Southern Border Provinces] (Bangkok: Khana anukamkansuksa withithang kanpattana phua khwammankhong khong manut, Khana kammathikan samanachan haeng chat [Sub-Committee for Educational Development for Human Security, National Reconciliation Commission], 2008), p.
50) Provincial Office of Suphanburi, Thiraluek phithi pert Phraborom Rachanusawri Phrabat Somdet Phra Junlajomklao Chaoyuhua lae Sala Klang Jangwat Suphanburi [Commemorating the opening of King Chulalongkorn Monument and the Provincial Hall of Suphanburi], p.
78) BB, Ekasarn ngop-pramarn 2533 (hereafter EN), 4, 5: 333, EN2535, 4, 5:331, EN 2536, 4, 5: 362, and EN 2537, 4, 5: 393; Sports Authority of Suphanburi, Thiraluek phithi wang silarert arkhan thiphak nakkiilaa khanat 200 tiang jangwat Suphanburi [Commemorating the cornerstone-laying ceremony for athletes' hostel with 200 beds, Suphanburi] (Suphanburi: NP 1998), p.