interstate

(redirected from Interstate highway)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.

interstate

A concept with many different interpretations depending on which federal law is being considered. Usually relevant in determining if an activity has a sufficient connection to interstate commerce,and thus the Commerce Clause of the Constitution,to warrant federal intrusion or oversight of the activity. Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution is known as the Commerce Clause and empowers the United States Congress “To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes.”Representative areas of federal power may include

• Matters in interstate commerce
• Matters affecting interstate commerce
• Agencies and instrumentalities of interstate commerce
• Local laws that discriminate against interstate commerce
• Crimes that interfere with or obstruct interstate commerce

References in periodicals archive ?
What does the fact that the thousands of miles of interstate highway are often clogged with traffic suggest about the difficulty of designing public-works projects?
While federal commitment to a system of interstate and defense highways was essential to the creation of the 1956 Interstate Highways Acts, the grand plan would have been impossible were it not for the groundwork laid by state departments of transportation.
That's what happened with the one-out-of-five claim about airplane use of the Interstate Highway System.
In fiscal year 1995, entitlements and interest on the national debt will consume 66 percent of the budget, leaving only 34 percent for investments like the interstate highway system or the Hoover Dam.
The Partnership to Save Highway Communities is a coalition of associations, corporations, small businesses and other stakeholders that share a common goal: preserving the valuable relationships between interstate highway motorists and community businesses serving their needs.
The state Legislature approved Act 511 during its session earlier this year, which authorized the reissuing of Arkansas Highway Financing Act of 1999 bonds up to $575 million to make improvements to the state's Interstate highways.
or hurry down that straight, seamless, profoundly boring interstate highway and stop at some nameless minimart to buy a microwaved snack, hastily eaten.
Thanks to the interstate highway system, it's possible to travel across the country without seeing anything," Stoll quotes retired CBS News correspondent Charles Kuralt.
Congress outlawed commercial activities at interstate rest areas to foster competition and the growth of local communities near the Interstate Highway System.
Interstate Highway System and the beginning of vacation travel.
A strong federal role was required to establish the interstate highway system and the federal aviation network.
The MOC is in the midst of completing an interstate highway system and related infrastructure, making this the perfect time to increase the focus on developing a more advanced freight management policy.

Full browser ?